Saturday, November 3, 2012

Dia de los Muertos~Miller-Style!

I'm now fascinated with Dia de los Muertos~Day of the Dead!  I love all of the festive colors and meaning behind this lovely holiday celebration of our Dearly Departed!  So, in honor of this event, I put together my own alter-space complete with a shrine I made myself and collected photos of those close family members who have moved on.  Take a Lookie...

 Close-up of the shrine I made recently.  This was a fun new project for me and I truly enjoyed the process! I originally started with a cigar box and it grew from there.  The frame was a thrift store find, the colorful beads framing the box are from my adventures at the Rio-Las Vegas, and the paper flowers my daughter and I made a couple years ago at my store!  As you can see, a lot of the pieces have meaning on this shrine. I made it to honor my deceased Dad, sister Rena and step-dad, Ed~they are represented at the top of the box by the three round characters seated in a row. 
 This side shows photos of my sister, dad and Ed.  The metal piece by Ed's picture is nickle dredged-up from a plating tank at his shop.  Ed was a metal finisher in his long career, so I felt this represented his love for his work and passion as well. I loved the little porcelain boy and thought he looked so sweet posed with my sister's portrait.  My dad's picture is a piece I made a couple years ago as a mixed media project~I love the effect of it here.
Here's the whole "shootin' match" as my Dad used to say.  My quilt from Maui looks perfect as the backdrop for this Alter.  I really love how it turned out and may leave it up for awhile, as it reminds me of my family that have moved on and are waiting for me on the other side; it makes me happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment