Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day "Thank You"

My Uncle Gene served in the United States Army during WWII, 1943-1946 in the 309th Infantry, 78th Division in enemy territory all through Germany.  During this time, Gene received his Combat Infantry Badge, among other accommodations. My Uncle Gene also became fluent in German and Russian and never lost his gift for languages.  (he used to try and teach my Rena German when she was a little kid!)  While in the service, Gene was promoted to Sargent, but being head-strong, he was demoted back down to PFC for fighting just 3 days before his discharge!  My uncle wasn't too happy, but knew it didn't always work to "Get your Irish up!"
Gene's brothers, Buck, Dale and Joe also fought in WWII and came back home after the war~what a Miracle, 4 boys in the War, and all 4 come back alive! I also have another uncle, Bill Bennett that fought in WWII and was a paratrooper over enemy lines; I have his dog tags, which he had given to my Dad.  Fortunately, Bill did make it back and went on to a career in the LAPD.  
I just want to say "Thank You" to all the Servicemen and Women who have served or are currently serving our country, without you we wouldn't know FREEDOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment